Friday 19 October 2012

Influences of our last audition in class





Paul Weller is talking about the influence of two cities London and Woking, his own city. But in a moment of the interview it is said about the influence of Ray Davies from the Kinks. This group is one of the most important and influential rock bands of the British Music. One of them is the Jam. It’s clear the influence not only in the music but in the matter. I recommend to you hearing the song of Ray Davies 'A Well Respected Man'. Do you think it influenced the jam’s song? I think so.


3 comments:

  1. It is known that Ray Davies is cited as a major influence on artists such as Paul Weller but many more, too. His songs have also become hits for bands including The Jam, Van Halen, The Pretenders and The Stranglers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this song! I think that the fact that the songs deal with a similar topic is because of what was happening at that time. A big economic depression, a lot of unemployment, Margaret Thatcher introduced a lot of cuts in social welfare. Quite similar to what is happening here right now, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can agree with the opinion that the Kinks influenced to the Jam, but actually I prefer the Jam because their lyrics criticize more that crisis. Of course they owe the lyrics of the Kinks but I think they were a little furher.
    By the the way, I've found the interview difficult to understand.

    ReplyDelete